Friday, March 10, 2006

 

Beware of Sleep-Drivers!

Turns out I'm not the only one. Both Wednesday's and Thursday's Fresno Bee included lengthy articles about people who "sleep-drive" after taking the prescription sleeping pill Ambien. These drivers "tend to stand out from other under-the-influence motorists. The behavior can include driving in the wrong direction or slamming into light poles or parked vehicles, as well as seeming oblivious to the arresting officers..."

A couple years back, I found a business card for a tow-truck company in my kitchen. Long story short, it turns out I had run over a speed-limit sign after jumping a curb. I have no memory of this whatsoever! (And yes, I was on Ambien at the time.) Apparently, I called my then-boyfriend to bring me my tool kit because, according to my interpretation of the situation, a sign was stuck under my car. Scary to think of what else could have happened when I was in that state; thank God no one was injured.

At least nothing like this happened to me (keep in mind this woman has no recollection of this incident):
"A registered nurse...got into her car wearing only a thin nightshirt in 20-degree weather, had a fender bender, urinated in the middle of an intersection, then became violent with police officers."

Or this:
"Jim Stewart says his wife began getting up in the night shortly after she began using the sleeping pill. He would find her doing strange things-- throwing a heavy toy at their dog while it slept, peeling ten pounds of potatoes, making sandwiches for imaginary Boy Scouts."

Or this (the scariest one of all, for those who know me):
"She quit taking Ambien three weeks ago on the morning she found McDonald's food wrappers in her bed."

All of this would be pretty funny if it wasn't a serious situation with such dangerous potential. And I would never laugh at a sleeping animal getting hit by flying objects.

Comments:
Thank goodness I never had to experience waking up in the middle of the night in Anderson Hall to find my beloved roommate sneakily eating a big fat hamburger and hiding the evidence under her bed. :)
 
The prank calling section of your blog brings me fond memories. Memories of us surrounding my phone in Cortner, with anticipation in our hearts, wondering what the reaction would be of each innocent victim we called...HAHAHAHA!! Man, those were the days!! I really like your page and reading it makes me really miss you and your wonderful sense of humor. We NEED to get together soon!! What were your thoughts on the Vegas 4th of july idea?
 
Well I am still loving all of your stories. I am totally addicted to craigslist!! I have not purchased anything yet but do enjoy when people argue back and forth about items posted. So you ready for school....me neither!! Give me a call sometime soon so we can catch up. You planning on going out to Redlands for homecoming?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?